After imbibing the spirit of Dr Carl McIntire when studying at Faith Seminary in the USA, Dr. Timothy Tow formed the Bible-Presbyterian Movement in Singapore. He did so after leading a failed campaign for the separation of the Singapore and Malayan Synod of the Presbyterian Church from the World Council of Churches (WCC) in 1955. For distinction from the liberal and ecumenical Synod churches, the word “Bible” was affixed to the Bible-Presbyterian Churches.
The Lord enabled through the vision and labours of Dr. Timothy Tow the formation of over a hundred and fifty Bible-Presbyterian Churches worldwide, with 56 in Singapore alone.
From an initial 30 members, the Bible-Presbyterian Church had by 1995, grown into 150 churches and parachurch groups around the world. In Singapore alone it had a total membership in excess of 6,000. The Bible-Presbyterian Church seeks to preach Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit from the infallible, inerrant, and preserved Word of God.
Calvary Tengah Bible-Presbyterian Church began in 1988 as a Gospel outreach of the Pandan congregation of Calvary Bible-Presbyterian Church. It was then known as Bukit Panjang Gospel Outreach (BPGO). It had a two-fold objective. BPGO endeavoured to reach out to (1) members who had just moved in to the new housing estate of Bukit Panjang and Choa Chu Kang, and extending to Bukit Timah and Bukit Batok; (2) residents in this vicinity with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
By the mysterious providence of God, Shalom Chapel was made available to the group. And BPGO became the third congregation of Calvary Bible-Presbyterian Church in August 1994 as an independent witness in the Tengah area of West Singapore. On 18 Dec 2003, Calvary Tengah Bible-Presbyterian Church was separately registered with the Registrar of Societies.
We give thanks for the Lord’s goodness in planting, prospering, protecting, and providing for the church all of these years. As a church we can raise our Ebenezer and declare, “Hitherto hath the LORD helped us.” (1 Samuel 7:12)